Made Up Words: Short Story Competition 2016
Submissions now closed
We received 107 stories written by people of all ages from 17 countries. Thank you. We’re inspired by your enthusiasm and talent!
A Faint Cautionary Creee – Bari Hein
America’s Number One Gameshow – John Piekoszewski
Chicken – Lisa Gordon
Happy Eid, Merry Christmas – Michael White
Harvest – Glenn Burney
Lost and Found – Nikki Williams
Maps to Home – Ayame Whitfield
Perspective – Christine Bernard
Ramona’s House – Kate Franklin
Ride It Out – Eric VanMeter
Shot at Dawn – Patrick Power
Stovetop Reflections – Kimberley Gomes
The Chilean Miners – Benjamin Finateri
The Four Horsemen’s Education – Jennifer Kilgore
The Ghosts of Finbury Road – Sally Roberts
The Wall – Alexander Lindenfelser
Writers under 20 years old
City of Stars – Isabelle Lee
Stupid Boy – Alex Sawyer
The Second Time – Aleksandra Bawiec
Look for our final 3 Readers’ Choice stories on our homepage from August 26 — September 2 and VOTE for your favorite! Voting ends midnight PST on Friday, September 2nd.
Editors’ Choice and Readers’ Choice winners will be announced on September 7, 2016.
Publication and prizes will start in the first week of October 2016.
If you want to see all the really good stuff daCunha offers, sign up for your 23-day FREE trial. Yes, we always have a few great stories to read but there is SO much more to share with you on the inside. Subscriptions available from only $5 a month.
Keep up to date!
Follow us on social media and be the first to know how we’re getting on and if your story is in the running… PLUS, we’ll be telling you about further surprises for the winners:
A quick reminder of:
- Editors’ Choice award. All submissions are eligible for this award.
- Readers’ Choice award. The editorial team will choose 3 stories and invite readers to cast their votes.
We’re a new publication, but we are committed to doing all we can to create opportunities for fiction lovers to read and engage with your story:
- We will share your story with the subscribers of all 3 daCunha publications, our social media followers, and to our e-letter list. Add to this the combined influence/reach of our creative team, and it means that your work could potentially reach 30,000+ readers.
- We will promote your story in daCunha’s blog, “Stories About The Stories,” and it will also be the sole feature in our October (Editor’s Choice) or November (Reader’s Choice) e-letter.
- We will publish your story in our first limited edition MUW short fiction anthology. Projected publication: February 2017.
- As a published Made Up Words writer you will, pending subscriber levels, be paid for your story. Read more about our commitment to #paythecreators here.
New prize added! The two winning stories will be recorded by professional actors and featured on the daCunha podcast.
Share this Post